11/16/12

Since she STOLE my idea.....



Yeah, Piano Bookworm stole my idea. About snipes, I mean. So I am going to beat her and tell you about them before she lets on any more!

Like she said, snipes are mysterious creatures. As far as I know, they dwell only in the wilds of Wyoming, but (stinker) she said that also. ANYWAY, now I'm going to tell you something about them that she hasn't told you yet.

Hunting snipes is very exciting, fun, and slightly dangerous. Strangely enough, snipes are more likely to be found when an inexperienced person is hunting them. So experienced hunters always make sure to take a novice with them when they go hunting. To hunt a snipe, you first have to find its den. Then you set one person to keep an eye on the den and go back to collect the novice hunter. (Also strange, you can't find a snipe den when a novice is with you. I SAID they were mysterious.)

Kirsten, Jack, and I went snipe hunting yesterday, with one of our friends from town. I sent Kirsten and Jack out to find the snipe den. Nicole, (that's our friend), had never hunted a snipe before. So I stayed with her, telling her about snipes and how to hunt them.

Kirsten came back , grinning ear to ear. She had found a snipe den and had left Jack to guard it. So Nicole, Kirsten and I started out for the den. Nicole seemed a bit nervous...

"Um snipe hunting isn't too extremely dangerous, is it?" she kept asking, and I and Kirsten kept reassuring her.

"No, it's not. Snipes are really smart, and they leave if they can't tell someone new is coming." I replied.

"But you're new," Kirsten said, "So it won't run away until they realize we're hunting it, which hopefully won't be until it's in the sack." (Alright, I forgot to tell you that. You hunt snipes with sticks and old burlap sacks so you can put the snipe into the sack)

We got closer to the location of the snipe den and couldn't see Jack anywhere. I bit my lip. "I hope he didn't go chasing the snipe, if he saw it. We don't want him getting lost chasing it..or even having it turn on him."

Nicole's eyes grew wide. "Turn on him? Could a snipe do anything to him?"

Kirsten shrugged. "Well, snipes aren't usually dangerous, but you never can tell."

Just then Jack ran up, panting. "The snipe's in the den, I saw it!" he exclaimed. "I couldn't see it until Nicole got close, but I saw it in the den just a minute ago. Come on!" and he ran off back toward the snipe den.

All of a sudden, Matt appeared in front of us, yelling. Nicole almost jumped out of her skin, but then she saw that it was Matt.

He came in front of us. "Hey, hurry, the snipe's running away!" he cried. We started to run, but we were too late. The snipe was gone. =P

Hey, I just learned that pretty soon, we're going to have our cousins visiting us! I bet we have TONS of adventures then!

1 comment:

  1. Heyy :) I love your blog, please come and follow mine bcuz I am your newest follower thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey, this is Piano Bookworm! Please keep everything clean. I love to hear your thoughts and ramblings!! :)

Piano Bookworm